Insurance for Visitors with Pre-Existing Conditions
If your visitor traveling to USA has a pre existing condition- it is a must you enroll them in a plan which full covers pre-existing conditions. Most insurance companies offer something called acute onset of pre -existing conditions coverage. These plans are designed to cover the sudden and unexpected recurrence of a pre existing medical condition. However- 99% of plans that cover acute onset of pre-existing conditions have terms and conditions which allow them to deny 99% of claims.
It can be said that only 5% of the premium you spend on an acute onset of pre-existing conditions plan is actually spent paying claims for your visitor. The other 95% goes into the pocket of the insurance company- who is laughing all the way to the bank! These insurance plans are often underwritten by foreign companies who are not regulated by the United States. More than that- most of these insurance companies think that since a visitor is staying a short time in the USA, if they don't pay a claim there's no way for the visitor to fight back.
Should I stay away from acute onset of pre-existing conditions plans?
We've seen in the past that many former clients of other insurance companies have actually sued their insurance provider for unjust and unfair claims practices. In fact- one visitor medical insurance provider was put in a class action lawsuit! Most of the time, acute onset of pre existing conditions are not covered by any of these plans.
The reality is- you get what you pay for. Coverage for acute onset of pre existing conditions will provide peace of mind- but that's it. When you actually need the insurance to benefit you, these companies will wash their hands with you. Acute onset of pre existing conditions provide limited coverage for your visitor. You are better off not buying any insurance than buying a plan which offers acute onset of pre-existing conditions coverage.
Who underwrites INF Plans?
INF Plans are backed by the financial strength of a true US-based American underwriter, Chubb Group. Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded insurance company. Being underwritten by Chubb provides some peace of mind knowing your insured by a regulated insurance underwriter, unlike a fly-by-night operation based on some island in the Mediterranean sea!
Insurance for Visitors with Pre-Existing Conditions: an Illustration
Most providers will offer low cost plans with unreal policy maximums. But anyone with a elementary school education can figure out that something here is not right. Let's walk through an example to illustrate:
My plan, WorldMap USA, offers $1,000,000 in coverage with $0 copay and 100% co-insurance, for the low price of $250 a month. Why should I believe INF, when it offers lower coverage at a higher price?
Here's the basic math: If 1,000 people went to the hospital and had a full $1,000,000 claim paid. That would equal $1 billion dollars in claims. That would mean if each person paid $250 you would need at least 4 million people to make up for that $1 billion in claims.
As you can see- it is very far fetched that any plan offering such absurd coverages will end up paying anywhere close to that amount. Acute onset plans lure you into a sense of comfort- as they allow you to have the peace of mind thinking you are covered no matter what happens. And most of the time- nothing will happen. But- if you slip in fall, or catch a UTI, or break your ankle, or have chest pain- you will wish you enroll in a full pre-existing Insurance for Visitors plan.
Reflecting on Insurance for Visitors with Pre-Existing Conditions
Your best bet when purchasing Insurance for Visitors with pre-existing conditions is to enroll a full pre-exiting option, such as the INF Premier or INF Elite plan. These plans cover any pre-existing conditions, as per the policy. And each plan is known to pay 100% of all eligible claims- something no other visitor medical insurance company will say. As we mentioned before- most Insurance for Visitors plans will only pay out 5% of premiums in claims- meaning you are essentially buying a piece of paper that says you're covered- but nothing else.